Seems I've struck a chord with all this guff, well that's good and
bad. Nice it's appreciated, but bad that you'll expect more of the
same, so here goes.
This week was a bit different, my
nice neice, the air hostess was getting married, so we were all trogging
off to Hythe in Kent for a couple of days so a chance to rest. The gig
was in Lympne Castle, a 13th century relic about 5 miles from Hythe just
along the coast from Folkstone. I have to say it all went really well
and the party afterwards was a great craic, but all that "dancing" left
me and others a little tired (as a newt), so how would Thursdays session pan out after all that.
A
handful of 200's followed by a couple of 300's, at this point in my
fitness regeime I was probably going to struggle. Sooooo, the twos went OK
though, hitting the target time was rather like pushing a Ford Transit
uphill, but I was close enough. The first of the 300's was amazingly
close to the required number of seconds - shock nearly killed me, but
that's where the success came to an end and half way round the second
one, the bear I had been aquainted with last year, leapt on my back and
introduced me to the fridge he was carrying and the wheels came off,
that was much more like it. Head spinning I found excuses to sit whilst I
was amused by the world spinning gayly past.
The weekend
brought fresh rest, and fresh opportunity for punishment, the road runs
saw to that nicely, such a chance for hyperventilation could not be
overlooked - twice! So Monday off then.
Tuesday was a more
civilised affair 3 x 400 - simples. Not! Managed the first easy enough,
and was sill able to breath at the end, second one not so much. You may
remember the bear and his fridge, well we meet again old friend. The
drive home was somewhat delayed, and full of questions such as why am I
doing this and where did I put the 12 year old Highland Park?
So
we reached Thursday's rather vicious looking session - 7x200m. One of
the coaches I annoy by asking 'Mike, how do I . . . .' week in week out,
suggested reducing the recoveries. Hmmm seems logical with all that
Lactic and Aerobic stuff going on (The Alactic only gets me through the
warm up). But I chickened out and just walked back each time
progressively more slowly after spending a few seconds intently studying
the ground beween my feet, re-learning how to breath. I got to the last
one having made my aquaintance with the fridge carrying bear, and things got really interesting. 100m in as I wandered across the lanes like a drunkard and completed the slowest 200 of my life, mind you, I ran further than 200 having used all three inside lanes to get there. Needless to say I was late getting home, again, but at least I know where the Higland Park is now and I have a 3 day break to recover.
Oh, did I get that wrong, but I'll tell you all about that next week, in the mean time I have a single malt to finish, recoveries can be "such fun".
No comments:
Post a Comment