Sunday, 15 December 2013

The return of the fridge

The weekend ended well and  spirits were rising, but we all know what that means, I woke Monday morning in time for my daily trek to Cheltenham to discover someone had poured cement into my legs, this made the ride north via the M4 & M5 traffic queues a little uncomfortable. Thankfully this was scheduled as a recovery day, so I survived through to Tuesday. Woke early Tuesday feeling like crap, the cement had set and reached the brain, so I had to forgo the bike and suffer the West Country's traffic in the car. I did manage to recover in time for the evening session, and 3x300m in 56 was, rather remarkably, completed. First one is always easy so bang on target, second was 2 seconds under, but the 3rd was 1 second over. Surprisingly, I could still stand on two wobbly legs after a quick scan of the paint work at the 100m start. I did a proper warm down as my coaching course suggested, first time I suspect, in 38 years. I ended the day with a cold bath in the hope to avoid contracting concrete calf muscles

Wednesday found me back on the bike, with movable legs. Can't say I enjoyed the day as UCAS, where I work, confirmed it was outsourcing the IT department to Bangalore next year, so I'll probably become a full time athlete sometime in the new year. That'll affect the training, so lets hope the current rehab completes successfully. Welsh Masters also confirmed they are taking part in the Indoor Inter-Area at Lee Valley so that and the impending Welsh Masters Championships in January rather focused the attention on the speed work, or my lack of.

To put this to rights, Thursday's session was scheduled to be 4x200 plus 6x60m, but as I mentioned before the cement had reached as far as the brain. Sherlock here turned up at the track without any spikes, and the Welsh weather had managed to deliver the rain early, so the was no chance of sprinting in flats. So I changed the session to 3x600m. Baring in mind I was getting heavier as the evening rained on, the times started badly and ended up in the fridge, times went from 2:24 to 2:34 and ended up at 2:41 with a wheezing display at the 200 start drawing the usual helpful and supportive comments from my shot coach nearby.

Two days "recovery" followed, which predictably included hours of Christmas shopping. Smart Alec here thought he'd cracked it this year, fool! I'd collated everyone's Christmas lists into  a single word document and put it on the SkyDive, thinking I can open it anywhere. Well I got to Cardiff's St. Davids II and guess what, couldn't get a good enough signal to access SkyDrive inside. I had to keep nipping out into the rain to see what to get next, somewhat negated the hole indoor shopping experience.

We went to see the Hobbit - Desolation of Smaug on Sunday, three hours of entertaining rest before doing 1Km road reps. Sadly I wasn't quite up to it, first one was OK if you enjoy running in torrential rain that is. I got so bad on the second I almost tripped over a fridge carelessly left in my way by some bear. Can't remember ever running that slowly, but I have been wetter - just. I need a single malt!

No comments:

Post a Comment