After the Welsh Indoor championship performances, I adjusted my training to be a lot more gym work than track, and what track work I did was short and sharp speed stuff. I can't say this was doing my Achilles any favours, but at least I could avoid the attentions of my friend the bear and his fridge.
A couple of days on the bike followed, which included some stepper and rowing, then disaster struck on the Sunday. Sunday gave us (me and my daughter Chloe) the opportunity to train indoors again at NIAC. After suffering what supposedly passed for Welsh rugby the day before we needed an enjoyable session. And so it was, Chloe was introduced to 400m indoors and followed that with a decent set of 5x200m whilst I interleaved her runs with 6x60m block starts myself. The first was crap, but nos. 2 and 3 were spot on, then I faded a bit. After a much needed rest we both did a spot of long jump, during which I proved I can't jump that well off my right foot so will have to stick with the dodgy left, see you at the BMAF Paul.
The disaster came later that day, I decided to end the day with my foot in the trusty bucket of icy Welsh water, accompanied with a single malt. As Wales had received a real kicking from the Irish, there wasn't anything to celebrate, so I restricted myself to the Tesco's Glen Foyle, but, disaster, the cork broke off in the bottle (Cheap Crap!). I pushed it through to get the glass filled, and I was able to replace it with one from the many empties that I've created, yes I have retained the empties after the sad event of them being drained.
Had a garage session on the Monday with the happy rowing machine, and a day off of training on Tuesday when the Parent-Teacher evening coincided with Wales' 2nd storm of the week, so I was of course gutted to be stuck in the school whilst the rain and sleet decorated South Wales. Gym again on Wednesday with weights and Thursday I was feeling quite good. So I added 3x150m to the session before Valentines, hit them all in 20 seconds too, with the assistance of the river Severn's wind but into the rain - inevitably. I tried to follow that with 6x60m but the rain had turned to hail and running into that left me without feeling in either hand and my head. After 4 I was unable to see the track that was now white so I baled.
Valentines was obviously not a training night if I wished to avoid becoming a soprano, so the wife and I had a meal out and Chloe went to a college party. At 11:00 the missus went to pick her up, just in time to see my eldest pitch forwards head first into the edge of the stage trying to jump onto someone's back in a party game. She chipped her front teeth, split her mouth, chin and hand. So, for the second time in two weeks we were back down the Royal Gwent Hospital, thankfully she's not too serious, but the dentist has some work to do.
I comforted myself with a large Penderyn, as any true father would.
No comments:
Post a Comment