The build up to this year's Welsh Masters Championships in Brecon was a bit on the short side for me as readers of my previous entry will realise. So having only managed three weeks work, I'm still not sure what possessed me to enter six events including the 400m? It was with this fact rather sharply in my mind (what remains of it anyway), that I set off early for sunny Brecon on what should have been my lie in for Father's Day. I could tell by the greetings from the Officials that I've known more years that I'm prepared to admit under torture, that they shared my doubts about this having been a wise choice, or was it just that they were looking forward to me making a prat of myself along with a certain flying bear.
With this ringing endorsement bouncing around my head, I began my day at 10:30 with the long jump, an event I was able to use to prove I'm going senile. We were sharing the venue with the South West Masters as their one and only serviceable track In Exeter was being swept or something, so they had come to Brecon as it was clearly conveniently placed in a separate country (Next year France?). We made them all very welcome in the hillside of course, as we knew they'd be going home. The upshot of this was 30+ athletes in every event instead of the usual 2, so we had 3 pools of long jumpers on 2 runways, at least they were adjacent if not running the same direction. You can see what's coming I suspect, muggins was in pool 2, pool 1 was going East, pool 2 West and Pool 3 would start later. But no! Pool 1 and 3 would jump together and I found my run up going south, I was on the wrong runway so missed round 1. Thanks to my friend Steve Wadley, who had marked his run up on both for safety, I was able to switch mine which is luckily only 1 foot longer and made the 2nd round in time for a No Jump. Following a safe 4.30m, I only managed to get out to 4.51m - no speed, no lift, no point and 2nd well down in my friend Derek Osborne who competed all day and organised the championships - epic.
| How to go backwards during a 200m race |
My next event was after lunch, the 200m. It had not escaped people that three of the competitors had close times for this, including me, although only one of them had a pet bear. Rather unusually for Brecon, it was now hot and sunny and this was affecting my mental state, not being used to this sort of thing in Wales let alone in the Beacons. Well that's my only excuse for the diabolical start and bend I ran in lane 1, gave me a really good view of the entire field disappearing round the bend ahead of me, and look, 120m to go and here's that effing bear, and oh yes, the fridge too. Crashed and burned, ran 28.5 in 3rd so far back I didn't even see my friendly rival Malcolm Cowton (pictured) cross the line in 1st ahead of Derek.
I was so knackered after the race I was having trouble seeing due to sweat, things could only get better so the only way was up, well, after collapsing for a quick sleep on the high jump pan anyway. I did enjoy the high jump once I'd come around and focused on the event properly, though I was not really satisfied with 3rd and 1.35m, but it was a pleasure to share to competition with the ladies for once, sorry Jon, Melanie is much better looking and can share my run up whenever she wants.
I had an hours rest before the 100m, so had high hopes of reaching the finish line without the intervention of the fridge. First effort saw me starting alongside Neil Tunstall (SWMAA) and Iain Moody (WMAA). Gun sent us off and I had a decent start, just hung on to Neil but we were recalled - typical. I need not have worried, the restart was even better, I lead for the first couple of yards before normality was restored and Neil left me to battle things out with Iain. We were no more than a couple of feet apart all the way and I held him off to take my first win of the day (Welsh win behind those darn Englishmen) in a crap 13.8.
I had a further hour to contemplate the next two events, the 400m and the Triple Jump, only 10 minutes apart so recovery was as unlikely as me avoiding the fridge. So in preparation for my fate I marked out my triple jump run up before getting ready for the 400m. You know you're in trouble when you turn up to an event and the starter and his marksman both think the whole thing is going to be worth watching and politely enquire if I have any special tactics lined up for the race? Tactics, must look that up sometime. There were 7 runners, so the marksman joked they take out lane 3, we did the draw and yes I got lane 3, I don't make all of this up you know. Anyway, when the race began and I waved a cheery goodbye to everyone not in lane 3, there was only one question remaining to be answered - where was the bear and how big was the fridge. I made it to the triple jump in the back straight, by the time I rounded the bend I was wearing wellies, by the time I crossed what looked like several finish lines they were full of cement. Time to hug the track - 4th in 69.5.
I don't remember how I got to the triple jump or how I managed the first round but at least I still jumped over 8m. The mists gradually cleared and the Brecon Beacon Mountains stopped washing up and down like the tide at Barry Island and I steadily improved. As always there were at least seven triple jump coaches on hand to pass critique on my unique technique, I can even remember some of the advice, but sadly I have yet to work out how to implement it. I was an honourable 2nd with 9.07m behind my good friend and rival Dave Shields, so I was satisfied with a final performance that consisted of a seasons best, never set the standard too high I say.
I spent about half an hour packing up, in order to avoid the sudden onset of cramp whilst driving, which could have seen me plant the car in the Usk on the extremely scenic route home, My mind was on other things now, things that come in glass bottles from bonny Scotland, and was it nice to have so many friends who are rivals and are better than me?
No comments:
Post a Comment